Human sexuality topics
Transgender persons and transsexuals
The term "LGBT" is an acronym for "Lesbians,
transgender persons/Transsexuals. Sometimes, additional letters
added, like "Q" for Queer or questioning, "I" for Intersexual.
The term "transgender person" is now preferred vs. the earlier "transgendered person".
Tracking down and manually changing almost 1,000 ocurrences in our web site
would consume many more staff hours that we have available.
So, we chose to have our DreamWeaver editor do it for us.
It may well have generated a few errors. We apologize in advance.
Gender identity, transgender persons and transsexuals:
This section discusses gender identity -- what a person perceives their gender to be. For over 99% of adults their gender identity matches the gender that they were assigned at birth. They are called cisgendered. But a small minority of adults firmly identify themselves as being of the opposite gender to their birth assigned gender, or of both genders, or of neither gender, or above any gender classification. They are called transgender persons.
There are two schools of thought about transgender individuals:
- Essentially all from the LGBT community, religious liberals, mental health therapists, human sexuality researchers, secularists, and some others:
- Refer to transgender persons by the gender with which they currently identify which is typically different from their birth-assigned gender.
- Believe that their gender identity is fixed and cannot be change by any known form of therapy.
- Believe that, for those who qualify, hormone treatments and gender reassignment surgery (GRS) can at least partly harmonize their gender identity with their appearance.
- Strongly support protections for transgender persons from hate crimes, from discrimination in employment, etc.
- Many religious conservatives:
- Refer to transgender persons by their birth-assigned gender.
- Believe that their gender identity is changeable through therapy and/or prayer.
- Regard trangender persons as being "gender confused."
- Regard GRS as a form of body mutilation that is offensive to God.
- Strongly oppose legislation protecting transgender persons from hate crimes and from discrimination in employment.
- Use the terms "religious freedom and liberty," and "conscience clauses," to justify using religious beliefs to discriminate against transgender persons.
Although there is no direct connection between sexual orientation and gender identity, the above two groups are engaged in similar efforts to promote or oppose equal rights and equal treatment for the LGBT community.
Topics covered in this section:
The following information source
was used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlink is not necessarily still active today.
- Barack Obama, "A Proclamation..." White House, 2009-JUN-01, at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/
- Charlie Butts and Jody Brown, "Obama appoints transgender LGBT activist," OneNewsNow.com. 2010-JAN-07, at: http://www.onenewsnow.com/
- Jennifer Reitz, "What transsexuality is," at:
||Tom Murray produced and directed a video concerning transsexuality. It
is titled: "Almost Myself: Reflections on mending and transcending
gender." See: http://www.almostmyself.com/
Copyright © 2007 to 2011 by Ontario Consultants on
Original posting: 2007-JUN-08
Latest update and review: 2012-SEP-23
Author: B.A. Robinson