Same-sex marriage (SSM) in New York State
2012-JUN: New York
Equality law: One year later. Part 1.
Governor's comments. Parade. Negative posting
The acronym LGBT refers to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender,
and transsexual communities. SSM refers to same-sex marriage.
2012-JUN: Comments by Governor Andrew Cuomo:
Governor Cuomo was interviewed by a Star Gazette reporter as the first anniversary of the same-sex marriage vote approached. He said that he wasn't confident that the bill would pass even on the day of the vote.
In the lead up to the vote, he had a "rolling conversation" with his father, Mario Cuomo, who had been governor of New York State for three terms. He told the reporter: "I decided, fine, we're all in and we go. And if we don't get it this time, we'll go again. And if we don't get it that time, we'll go again and ultimately we'll get there. But I never knew for sure."
During 2009, a similar bill had lost badly 24 to 38 in the Senate. All of the Republicans and eight of the Democrats had voted against it. In 2011, Republicans held a 32 to 30 seat majority. When the smoke cleared, four Republicans and all but one Democrat voted for the bill, thus passing it 33 to 29. The only Democratic Senator to vote against marriage equality was Rev. Ruben Diaz, Sr, a pastor from the Bronx.
Cuomo recalled that after the bill was passed, a stranger approached him in the street. Cuomo said:
"As soon as he saw me, he started to cry. And he said, 'You know, Mr. Governor. Thirty years ago, my son told me he was gay. He said I haven't been able to deal with him since. I shouldn't have needed you to tell me it was OK to love my boy. But I did.'
It meant more to people than I even imagined. Marriage equality, it wasn't even about marriage. It was about equality. It was about acceptance; it was about affirmation."
Referring to his presence at the 2011 Gay Pride Parade two days after the vote, Cuomo commented:
"Exuberance like I have never seen. Not at any crowd, any ballgame, any rock concert, any celebrity thing. It was about them ... They were cheering for themselves. It was about them." 1
2012-JUN-24: The annual gay pride parade, one year later:
The 43rd annual gay pride parade in New York City was held on Sunday, 2012-JUN-24, the first anniversary of the day that Governor Cuomo signed the bill legalizing same-sex marriage in New York state. Its theme was "Share the Love." To guide the marchers, a lavender line was painted down Fifth Avenue for 32 blocks from mid-Manhattan to the West Village,
Cyndi Lauper, 59, was grand marshal. She said: "Let's celebrate. We have a lot to celebrate. Everybody can be married in New York." 2
Governor Cuomo and Mayor Bloomberg kicked off the parade.
Two of the participants were City Council Speaker Chrisine Quinn, 45, and her wife Kim Catullo who were married out of the state in 2001-MAY. 2 They walked the entire route three times. Before her final run, Quinn said: "It’s thrilling. For so long we were fighting to get marriage equality, and now that we have had it for a year, it’s hard to believe." 3
One sign read "Happy anniversary." Another said: "Thank you, Governor Cuomo." Some marchers wore T-shirts saying "Obama pride," referring to President Obama's statement of support for same-sex marriage in early 2012-MAY.
This was the first gay pride parade where servicemembers were able to openly participate. A float carried some of them as part of the parade. Air Force 1st Lt. Josh Seefried, who is one of the co-director of OutServe, an agency supporting LGBT military personnel, said: "It's great to be proud of who we are." 4
Mayor Michael Bloomberg commented to the LGBT community in other states:
"The government should get out of your personal life. ... New York is a place where you can do whatever you want to do." 4
According to myFOXny.com:
"Tens of thousands took part in the colorful extravaganza that took over lower Fifth Avenue, turning the route into a moving dance party, myFOXny.com reported.
Alongside the fancy dressed groups and floats were groups with a serious message of further advancing the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community.
Marching with gay colleagues and NYPD commissioner Raymond Kelly, one police officer said, 'It means everything to be able to march in uniform, and to have the police commissioner next to us speaks volumes about what this department thinks about gay and lesbian people.'
Kicking off the parade New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the event and last year's gay marriage vote were a credit to New York.
'New York showed the country this is a place where you can ... marry whoever you want to and we should all be proud of that,' he said.
A large contingent of newly married same-sex couples marched to thank Gov. Andrew Cuomo for signing the law that allowed them to legalize their relationships." 5
Not everyone celebrated marriage equality in New York state:
As a reminder of the massive amount of homophobia and opposition to the marriage of loving, committed same-sex couples, Dane Muyhlig added his comment to the article in the Wall Street Journal, saying:
"God's Word 100% clearly says Homosexuality [and Lesbianism] is sin and Homosexuals [and Lesbians] will not go to Heaven
...they will go to Hell. 1 Cor.6:9,10. God's Word calls homosexuality degrading of the body, shameful,
indecent and perversion!! Romans 1:24-32,
"Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of Eternal Fire." Jude 7. The sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was homosexuality!
So according to God Homosexuals are going to suffer the punishment of Eternal Fire!!!!! Ouch! [bring a lot of suntan lotion! Ha!].
Jesus spoke against homosexuality. He condemned "sexual immorality" in Mk.7:21-23. This word means all sex outside of marriage: Adultery, incest, animal sex, LESBIANISM and HOMOSEXUALITY. This word sexual immorality also means, "to prostitute one's body to the lust of another." Jesus says sexual immorality makes a man "unclean, defiled and polluted." Mk. 7:23. 4
Other interpretations of these same three passages result in very different understandings. ... that:
- 1 Cor.6:9,10: The common English translations of the Bible which condemn same-gender sexual behavior are in error here. Some believe that the original phrase condemned boy slaves and the men who sexually abused them.
- Romans 1:24-32: The phrase condemns male and female heterosexuals who went against their basic nature and engaged in same-gender sexual behavior. By the same reasoning, a gay or lesbian who went against their basic nature and engaged in opposite-gender sexual behavior -- even within a marriage -- would also be condemned.
- Genesis 19: Condemns what happened in Sodom and Gomorrah. The passage has nothing to do with consensual same-gender sexual behavior. It condemns forcible rape as a method of humiliating visitors -- a common violent act at the time.
- Jude 7: Refers not to sexual orientation but to bestiality: sex between humans and another species -- angels in this case.
- Mark 7 appears to condemn all sexual behavior outside of marriage and permit all sexual behavior within marriage. That passage would seem to promote marriage, which is now allowed for all loving committed couples in New York -- both same-sex and opposite-sex.
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Joseph Spector, "Cuomo: Gay-marriage law 'meant more to people than I even imagined'," Star Gazette, 2012-JUN-22, at: http://www.stargazette.com/
- "New York Gay Pride celebrates marriage," News24, 2012-JUN-25, at: http://www.news24.com/
- Reuven Blau, "Gay Pride Parade marchers celebrate 1-year anniversary of same-sex marriage law," NY Daily News, 2012-JUN-24, at: http://www.nydailynews.com/
- "Pride parade marks same-sex marriage anniversary," Associated Press, 2012-JUN-24, at: http://online.wsj.com/
- "New Yorkers march to celebrate one year of same-sex marriage," NewsCore, 2012-JUN-24, at: http://www.myfoxny.com/
Copyright © 2011 & 2012 by Ontario Consultants on Religious
Originally written: 2011-JUN-22
Latest update: 2012-OCT-22
Author: B.A. Robinson