Same-sex marriages (SSM) in Indiana.
Activity in Indiana involving civil unions,
same-sex marriage, and LGBT equality,
from 2011 to the present time.
Background of same-sex marriage in the United States as of 2014-APR-15:
The first state to legalize same-sex marriage was Massachusetts in 2004. As of 2014-APR, loving, committed same-sex couples can marry in 17 states and the District of Columbia. Federal District Courts in six more states -- Kentucky, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah and Virginia -- have issued rulings legalizing same-sex marriage. However, no couples can marry there because the rulings have all been stayed pending appeals to various U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeal.
There are more than 60 lawsuits active in U.S. District Courts that are attempting to legalize same-sex marriage within their state, or require their state to recognize same-sex marriages solemnized in other states, or both.
But perhaps the most important measurement of all is the level of support for same-sex marriage among the public. This currently rests at about 55% and has been increasing between 1 and 2 percentage points per year over the past decade.
Some commentators from the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Transsexual (LGBT) community have predicted that when:
- National polls show that support for marriage equality exceeds 60%, and
- Most states have legalized SSM, and
- Most Americans live in states where SSM is available, then
the U.S. Supreme Court will decide to legalize SSM in all states as it did for interracial marriages back in 1967.
Topic discussed in this section:
- Part 1: Indiana's proposed constitutional
SSMs, civil unions & domestic partnerships: Background. Legislative activity. Recent polls.
- Part 2: Indiana's proposed constitutional
SSMs, civil unions & domestic partnerships: Recent polls (Cont'd). House committee hearing. 4 couples file lawsuit seeking marriage equality.
- Part 3: One couple have their marriage recognized, but only on a spouse's death certificate.
Five SSM-related Indiana lawsuits consolidated.
- Part 4: 2014-MAY/JUN: Five SSM lawsuits consolidated into one case: Baskin v. Bogan. SSMs legalized.
Initially posted: 2014-APR-15
Latest update: 2014-APR-15
Author: B.A. Robinson